They say people spend about a third of their lives sleeping, so we all want to make this time as comfortable as can be. A cozy bed with a great mattress is a perfect couple that allows you to relax and enjoy your sleep. As for me, it is necessary to talk about the comfort of our sleep as this is the time we need to renew our energy and refill our health to be ready for the new day.
Many people don’t know how often to replace the mattress and why they even need to do it. In reality, if you keep on sleeping on the same old mattress for decades, you risk having various health issues and sleep disorders. Are you ready for that? When I first noticed I wake up in pain, this was the time I started to research about how often to replace a mattress. I was shocked to learn the truth I’m going to share with you today. Keep on reading to find out how to boost the quality of your sleep.
How Long Does a Mattress Last?
It might be surprising to many people out there that you can’t utilize the same mattress for ages. Your mattress has a certain lifespan as everything and everyone else. Yes, I didn’t know about it myself before I started my own research. When we purchase a new bed together with a new mattress, it usually takes some time to conform to our bodies and soften a bit.
I don’t want to tell you now about how much does it cost to ship a mattress but trust me, I bought mine for a decent price. I believed that once the adjustment period is over, we will become an ideal match with my mattress and it will serve me many decades. It certainly was perfect was watching TV, relaxing, sleeping, and reading for several years.
However, something started to happen after 7 years. I realized that I would wake up in pain almost every day, although there were no changes in my daily routine. How long does a mattress last? Consumer reports state that the average lifespan of a mattress is between 7 and 10 years. Let’s dive right in and talk more about the reasons you should replace it asap.
How Often Are You Supposed to Replace Your Mattress?
Each type of mattress has a certain number of years when it can be utilized. After that, it’s better to replace it with a new one if you want to avoid issues and keep on sleeping comfortably. Every type and brand offers a particular warranty and you can use your mattress safely during this period. How long does a foam mattress last? What is the best type for me? Here are all the answers. For instance, you should replace
- Innerspring mattress every 7-8 years;
- Waterbed every 7-9 years;
- Memory Foam every 10 years;
- Latex every 15 years;
- Air mattress every 5 years;
- Hybrid every 6 years.
Depending on the brand you use, here are some tips for you to follow.
#1 Innerspring Mattress
This type of mattress is made of metal coil springs. It is harder than latex or memory foam mattresses and comes with fewer comfort layers. Certain comfort is offered with the help of a pillow top which is a common feature of this mattress. The benefit of metal coil springs is that they offer support even for greater weight. How often to replace your mattress? Experts say between seven and eight years.
#2 Memory Foam Mattress
This mattress type is much softer than the previous one. It adjusts to your body and keeps its shape after usage. Memory foam returns to its original shape when you aren’t in bed. How long does a memory foam mattress last? It usually depends on the kind of foam that is inside but generally lasts for up to 10 years. How often to replace memory foam mattress depends on its quality and how often you utilize it.
#3 Latex Mattress
How long does a latex mattress last? This type of mattress is considered to be one of the most durable as it can last for up to 15 years. It’s firmer than the previous type and often comes with a hard mattress feel. Such an item can be made from a synthetic latex, natural latex, or a combination of both types. A quick tip for you is to select the one made of natural latex if you want to boost its longevity to the maximum.
#4 Tempurpedic Mattress
This type is made from high-density memory foam and other materials of high quality. I should admit, it stands between the regular memory foam mattresses and the latex ones. How long does a tempurpedic mattress last? Usually between 8 and 15 years. Bear in mind that this material can also compress and sag. How often to replace Tempurpedic mattress? If you notice the material has compressed with pressure and heat and the mattress looks worn out, it’s time to purchase a new one.
#5 Air Mattresses
This is thought to be a temporary sleeping place but it’s worth talking about as well. Nowadays, air mattresses are much more convenient and durable than they used to be. However, they are still not as durable as the previous options and will last up to five years even if you don’t utilize them frequently. Generally, the warranty for this mattress is between one and two years.
Why You Shouldn’t Use a Mattress That Is Over 10 Years Old?
There are several reasons why experts don’t recommend utilizing the same mattress for too long. Here is why:
- Sagging. If you notice deep indentation and grooves on your mattress, it’s telling you to replace it. This is one of the most noticeable signs to do it. Do you enjoy sleeping on a particular side of your bed? Then be ready that this side will start to sag earlier making you dream again about a firm and flat surface. Remember that your mattress should support your spine and whole body so that you relax during the night. You can even it out by turning it around and sleeping on another side but it can help for a while.
- Smells and Stains. You can protect your bed from unforeseen accidents especially if you live with small children or pets. Some spillage and stains are an almost inevitable part of growing a kid so you should prepare for that. Of course, if you have a mattress cover it will protect the mattress from such accidents. However, if the stains are old enough and awful smells don’t go away, you should consider investing in a new mattress. The old one can be recycled or donated.
- Bed Bugs. Globetrotters and other travel lovers can know everything about hygiene, but this is something you can’t prevent. Such infestations might happen all of a sudden and there is no other way to deal with it other than replace your mattress. Even if you can’t see them with your own eyes, they may still be there. One of the obvious signs of bed bugs is having red marks all over your body when you wake up.
- Lumpiness. Your bed shouldn’t be lumpy if you care about your health and want to grow healthy children. Lumpy mattresses can give your back constant pains and result in serious illnesses. Inspect it for any bumps or lumps and make sure it’s firm and comfortable enough. If not, I would advise you to purchase a new mattress from high-quality materials and with a longer warranty.
- Old Mattress. If you’ve had the same mattress for over seven or eight years old, it may be time to think about investing in a new one. It might not have lumps yet but if you utilize it regularly and sleep on it every night, it’s better to replace it to prevent any further issues and back pains. Only if this mattress is in your guest bedroom that is usually unused, you can make it an exception.
- Allergy. You may clean and wash your mattress regularly but you can’t protect it from dust mites, mildew, and mold. People with asthma or allergies can suffer from it. Also, you should replace your pillows once a year as they also may contain allergens.
- Back Pains. Any discomfort you feel after you wake up can be caused by an inappropriate and old mattress. If you feel aches in your spine and other parts of your body after a good night’s sleep, this may be the sign your mattress needs to be changed.
When Is the Best Time to Buy a Mattress?
The best time to replace it and invest in a new mattress depends on its type as well as its usage. Speaking about your guest bedroom which is usually spare, you can utilize the same mattress for a longer period of time. When is the best time to buy a new mattress? It depends on the brand and the type too. Look through the above-mentioned characteristics to define what type of mattress you have and when is the best time of year to buy a mattress.
Usually, you can find great prices at the end of winter, in early spring as well as on holiday weekends. These are the times when new brands and models are presented so you can find reasonable prices and great deals. How much does a new mattress cost? We will discuss this question now.
How Much Does a Mattress Cost?
This is a question that comes to mind once you realize your old one needs replacement. How much does a good mattress cost? The word “good” isn’t appropriate here as it all depends on the model and the type of this item. They can be more or less expensive but there are no cheap mattresses. The reason for that is because they are made from pricey materials and should last for quite a long time. How much does a king size mattress cost? It has a reasonable price and if you have a flexible budget you can always find the money for it. For instance, a Latex one will cost you about $2,000 while Innerspring is much cheaper and costs about $850.
How much does a memory foam mattress cost? It costs around $700, while the Hybrid one will cost twice as much, about $1,500. Remember that price doesn’t always determine great quality. The characteristics and main features are described above. Even if you purchase the most expensive one, it may not suit your needs. Experts advise consumers to do their own research and define the type of mattress that will work best for them. There are multiple options on the market these days. Each model is tailored to the particular needs of consumers.
How much does it cost to make a mattress? It doesn’t cost too cheap if you want to get high-quality materials that will last longer. The most expensive one also doesn’t guarantee the highest quality. It all depends on your needs and requirements. If the lifespan of your mattress has come to an end and you notice visible signs of a worn-out item, consider investing in a new one.