When it comes to safety or health of my family, I’m more than serious. I’m the type of person who does check the composition of the products, visit medical specialists regularly, and apply for the reputable opinion.
Recently, while making an olive oil mask for hair, I thought: “Oils have an extraordinary effect on our organism and body. Why wouldn’t I add these components to children’s care?”
Still, not every oil is safe for children’s organism (especially for the youngest ones). Therefore, I turned to the Essential Oil Safety written by the reputable world famous essential oil expert Robert Tisserand and his co-author, Rodney Young. There I found all answers and now I will share them with you!
So, which oils are safe for children under 2 years old, between 2 and 6 years old, and between 6 and 10 years old?
Calming Essential Oils for Kids under Two Years
In fact, medical specialists prefer hydrosols to essential oils, speaking of the kids under 2 years old. Still, in the small amounts (1 drop per 4 teaspoons carrier oil) some oils can occur in the child’s care.
I wouldn’t also recommend you using oils for newborns under 3 months of age as their skin isn’t mature enough to deal with essential oils. Still, I used almond oil to soften a so-called crust on heads and then brush it easily.
I decided to make up a list of those essential oils for kids that are absolutely safe even if they are under 2 years old.
By the way, essential oils set id an awesome present just like the gifts for chocolate lovers I told you in my previous post.
Some safe essential oils for kids are a great way to help them to relax and adjust them to a healthy sleep. I used to buy candles with essential oils or torch special aroma sticks. If these ways are too concentrated, you can drip a drop in a glass of water and put it next to the bed.
So, these calming essential oils for kids are good for relaxation and healthy sleep:
1. Catnip (Nepeta cataria).
2. Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile) is good for soothing sore muscles.
3. Clary sage (Salvia sclarea).
4. Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia) is also helpful for soothing bug bites, sunburns, and other skin irritations.
5. Sandalwood/Australian (Santalum Spicatum) is also suitable for oily skin.
6. Jasmine Absolute (Jasminum sambac).
7. Ylang ylang (Cananga odorata).
There are still cases when you are looking for a mood-lifting component. These oils will help to lift mood and give energy!
8. Lemon/expeller-pressed (Citrus x Limon) also supports immune function. The maximum dose is 12 drops in two tablespoons carrier oil.
9. Bergamot (Citrus bergamia). 10. Lemon eucalyptus (Eucalyptus citriodora) is also good for healthy respiratory function.
10. Lemon eucalyptus (Eucalyptus citriodora) is also good for healthy respiratory function.
The other oils that support healthy respiratory function are:
11. Fir needle (Abies sibirica).
12. Pine (Pinus Sylvestris).
13. Rosalina (Melaleuca ericifolia).
Once, my doctor recommended me supporting the immune system of my little Bogdan with the help of:
14. Chamaemelum nobile (Boswellia carteri).
When pills and (moreover!) antibiotics are forbidden, essential oils for kids colds can help.
Skin of newborns is too sensitive for essential oil but in one year you can use:
15. Neroli (Citrus x Aurantium var.amara) has an ability to promote beautiful skin.
16. Patchouli (Pogostemon Cablin).
17. Petitgrain (Citrus x Aurantium).
18. Cinnamon leaf has a great smell and is beneficial for soft skin.
Essential Oils for Kids: Ages 2 – 6
Actually, all aforementioned oils are good and suitable for kids between 2 and 6 years old. Still, these oils for the youngest children should be used for diffusing only. When your kids are older, you can take them in bigger amounts.
I would emphasize on using:
19. Rosemary oil that is useful for hyperactive children with a poor concentration of attention. In addition, it has disinfectant properties, kills viruses and bacteria, and purifies the air, which prevents the spread of any diseases.
20. Tea tree oil. It removes inflammation and has healing properties. So, it cures mosquito bites and with light burns. It also works well with a runny nose. Dilute it in a proportion of 1 to 4 with olive oil and drip 1-2 drops into the spout.
21. Fir and pine oils are known for their antiseptic, anti-inflammatory properties in the treatment of inflammatory and infectious diseases of the respiratory system. In addition, these oils help to activate the immune system. Drop 3-4 drops on the aroma lamp or in the bath.
If your children don’t like the smell of the essential oils in their rooms, you can drip a couple of drops in the bath, add foam and have fun! A warm tea with biscuits after is always a good idea. An excellent addition to immune health protection this autumn.
Safe Essential Oils for Kids: Ages 6 to 10
All kinds of oils aforementioned are good for children over 6 years old. At this age, children tend to catch a cold more often as we let them go to school or to their friends alone (often without “cute” hats and scarfs).
So, use these essential oils for a cough and essential oils for kids cold, especially in autumn and winter.
When my children have a moist cough, I make them do an inhalation: mix 1 drop of tea tree oil, 1 drop of eucalyptus, also mixing them with a liter of water. You can also rub a chest with the same mixture that you use for a dry cough.
A massage with essential oils would also help during a cold. Rub a chest with a mixture of 1 tablespoon warm vegetable oil, 1 drop of tea tree oil, 1 drop of eucalyptus oil and 1 drop of lavender oil.