Recognizing this well-known Snellen chart? You have probably seen exactly the same one during your ophthalmologist appointment. With a help of a Snellen chart, you can easily measure visual acuity and decide whether you’re happy with the test or maybe it’s time to panic.
After all, hours spent in front of TV and computer screens couldn’t just go unnoticed. Not to say that every day we look at tiny letters in our smartphones that most of us rarely let go of our hands.
As a mom, I discovered that nowadays this is a real problem not only for adults but also for our kids. Bogdan and his friends have their own tablets and smartphones at the age of eight. No wonder, most of them wear glasses and later – contact lenses.
Parents sound the alarm: how to improve vision without paying any medical treatment? Hopefully, there is a bunch of different ways starting from vitamins and food products to maintain your eyesight on a good level and finishing with everyday exercises. Thank God, my best husband in the world supports me and helped to choose the best methods.
Let’s start with a “tasty part” of our natural eye treatment – FOOD PRODUCTS.
- There’s nothing better for your eyes than this crispy orange root-chop. There is a record amount of Vitamin A (beta-carotene), which makes it a perfect snack to feed your eyes with something nutritious. Carrots eaten together with vegetable oils significantly improve twilight vision. Also, carrots will make you forget about myopia, conjunctivitis, fatigue, and pain in the eyes.
- Consuming these berries regularly guarantees you a better vision. Bilberry is rich in vitamins C, B1, B2, A, pectin, malic, succinic and lactic acids, as well as a large amount of manganese. Helps improving blood circulation in the retina and relieves the tension of the optic nerve.
- Fresh greens (dill, parsley, coriander). Fresh greens contain vitamin C, A, and the ones of group B. Just remember, how many people living in the south of that you know and eating greens for almost every meal, wear glasses?
- Citrus fruits. These are oranges, grapefruits, lemons or freshly squeezed juice made of these fruits. Did you know that vitamin C maintains a normal permeability of the capillaries in the retina? Now it makes sense to consume vitamin C not only during a cold season.
- Sea fish (due to fatty acids Omega-3). Omega-3 helps to strengthen the eye muscles and improve the blood circulation in the organs of vision.
Among the other honorable mentions containing beta-carotene are avocados, yellow bell peppers, sorrel, spinach, beetroots, pumpkins, chicory, leeks, tomatoes, mangos, papayas, peaches, apricots and passion fruit (for the exotic lovers). Food products of animal origin contain vitamin A in the form of retinol and besides the sea fish, you can find one in egg yolk, butter, ham, fat cottage cheese or milk.
Along with tasty ways to improve eyesight, there are ways that involve time, efforts, and systematic repetitions. There are special exercises that help to improve sight (if you will repeat them regularly). I encourage my kids to do these tiny workouts as a precaution:
- Smooth looks left and right with maximum amplitude.
- Smooth looks up and down with maximum amplitude.
- Look around, depict a circle, repeat clockwise and counterclockwise.
- Screw up your eyes several times, then open them wide.
- Blink during one minute. The eyelids must perform the easiest natural movements, no effort.
Our health is the most precious thing as it’s so easy to lose it and so difficult to improve. As a Mom, I started taking care of my children from the first days of their life choosing the best dental plan and an Ophthalmologist appointment is a regular thing that we do to maintain the condition of eyes.
Therefore, I recommend parents to check out the eyesight of their children twice a year.
By the way, how do you take care of your kids? Share with me your experience in the comments.